Last week I wrote about my goal to make my blog site more accessible and my embarrassment that my goal was an afterthought and not a priority.
I am happy to say (although feelings of guilt remain) that I have taken some steps to improve the accessibility of my posts.
First, I switched to a more accessible font. Although my outdated personal preference is Times New Roman, sans-serif fonts are easier to read. Readability needs to trump personal preference of squiggly lines on letters.
Second, I added alternative text to my images if my captions did not describe all the details of the picture. Alternative text is important because it is read by screen readers making the image more accessible to those with visual or other cognitive challenges.
Third, I utilized WAVE, a web accessibility evaluation tool, to provide feedback on the accessibility of my site. WAVE alerted me to some accessibility issues on my page.
I learned that it would have saved time if I had thought of accessibility at the beginning of my blogging journey (during the design phase) as opposed to considering it after I had written a number of posts. However, with the aforementioned actions, I was able to create a more accessible blog site. And, hey, you never know, maybe with a more accessible blog, my number of readers will increase from one to two.
One thought on “Prioritizing Accessibility Part 2”
Much better, but you are still using multiple syllabic words…if I didn’t have to look them up in the dictionary–reading your blog would go much faster. Alas, it is worth the time it takes, and the paper cuts.